[T3] Newbie with dumb questions.

Tom Hottinger tdhotti at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 10:14:32 PST 2011

Been looking at some of the posts and am almost afraid to ask.  It appears
that this is mostly a bunch of purists and I'm afraid I may be hunted down
with pitch forks and torches.

But here goes, I used to play with Beetles and Things but had to get away
for about 10 years.  Now I'm back out of necessity (I hate spending over
$100 a week to keep the wife's Jeep Commander full of gas).  I've decided to
drag a Type 3 Fastback out of the weeds and build a nice fuel efficient
daily driver.  I haven't touched it in 10 years so I can't remember what
year it is but I think it is a 72.

It is a very stock survivor with no rust or dents.  Ran great when parked
but the Thing was so much more fun to drive.  I am wanting to put a
hydraulic 1776 and add air conditioning and possibly aftermarket EFI.  Most
of that is "No harm, No foul".

I hate the "Ivory" off white so am planning a paint job.  I have 3 parts
cars, 1 of which is a older swing axle fastback.

I know the back fenders are easily enough swapped.  My question is: Does
anyone know how difficult oe even possible to swap the front clip.  I know I
will have to cut out the front apron but beyond that I don't know how much
more it would entail.