[T3] Intro - Newby Old Guy with '73 Squareback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 27 21:02:29 PST 2011

On 27 Jan 2011 at 18:35, Robert Bills wrote:

> there will be times that I will need to be at work rather than home
> wrenching.  For those times, I need a referral to a good local
> mechanic who understands these fuel injected motors and takes pride in
> his/her work.

We certainly understand your position, but the problem is that most
of the mechanics that used to be good with these cars are now retired
or dead. If you can find someone in your area to help, that's great,
but it's a long shot.

Certainly, if anyone knows of a GOOD place to recommend in Robert's
area (LA, was it?) please speak up.

We can help you up the learning curve, and buying tools will cost
less than paying someone else to do the job. The time, however, would
have to come from you. At this point in time, I'm afraid these are
hobbiest cars. I have daily drivers, too, but I've done all my own
work on them for 40 years. The good part is that having done that, my
cars are reliable, take very little maintence, and cost almost
nothing to keep on the road.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org