[T3] Blue Coil/Gas Tank

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 18:55:29 PST 2011

*James --

I had an occasion last summer to refurb my entire fuel system ... starting
at the fuel tank.  (1969 FI, MT Variant)

What I learned (from Jim A.) was that the brass screen filter is mounted to
the outlet of the tank & sits upright, inside a small, metal "cup-like"
device attached to the bottom of the tank.  The "cup" and screen are readily
visible when the sender module is removed.  The "cup" holds a small amount
of fuel ... maybe 8 to 12 ounces? ... BUT somewhere at the bottom of the
"cup", where it goes from the bottom to the side, there's a small hole. The
function of that hole, apparently, it's to let fuel INTO the cup and
subsequently the brass filter and the fuel pump, etc.  That way when the
fuel level in the tank gets too low to fill the "cup", fuel can still get
through the hole.  The "cup" HELPS prevent sediment from entering the fuel
pump, filter and eventually the injectors.

Have I got that right?  Others more knowledgeable than me, may expand on
this.

Frito
*