[T3] Mysterious squareback condition.... need suggestions.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jan 26 21:55:41 PST 2011

On 26 Jan 2011 at 22:08, James Lingenfelter wrote:

> Correct.... no chokes. Tell me what you guys think of this: I
> mentioned this problem today to a guy who works on aircooled vw's,
> and he asked about the coil on the car. I told him that it was a
> scummy looking very old black coil. He cursed black coils and said
> that was likely the source of the problem, and instructed me to get a
> Bosch blue coil right away. Does this sound like good advice?

It depends. If the black coil is a Bosch, then it is probably the
original coil and those have been extremely reliable. The new Bosch
Blue coils coming out of Mexico have shown very poor reliability.

The Blue coils were made for high rpm (racing) operation. If you use
them on the street, you won't get the same point lifetime as with the
OE coil. Frankly, unless you've done rather extreme things to extend
the red line of your engine, you'll never see any advantage out of a
fancy coil, blue or otherwise.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org