[T3] Mysterious squareback condition.... need suggestions.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 27 07:55:36 PST 2011

On 27 Jan 2011 at 9:14, James Lingenfelter wrote:

> So if my problem IS the coil, what type of new coil should I get? I'm
> off work today, so I was thinking about going out and picking up a
> new coil this afternoon. In my ignorance, I just assumed all the
> Bosch coils were blue now, since every other coil I've ever had on my
> VW's were blue.

I think all the OE Bosch coils were black. Bosch also made Blue and Red coils
for special applications. The blue coils became popular for VW racing, so that
spilled over into street use, for those who thought that if it's good for
racing then it much be better for the street. Turns out it's just not true.
Plus there's the recent (10-20 years) reliability problems, which might well be
fixed by now.

Nevertheless, the best coil you could possibly find for street use in your Type
3 would be an OE Bosch black coil.

--
Jim Adney
jadney at vwtype3.org