[T3] Brake Lights

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 20:20:08 PDT 2011

Ok, here is what is happening with my "no brake lights at all" situation.

Pulled the connectors off the switches.  With a continuity test on the pins
of the switches, here is the result (same for both switches).

Foot OFF pedal:
81 and 81a have continuity, no other pin combinations do

Foot ON pedal:
no pin combinations have continuity

According to my notes from last summer, I THINK, that pins 81 and 82a should
have continuity in order to turn the lights on.  So, it seems these switches
have failed.  Am I correct in the diagnosis?

Other notes:

   - I am not getting 12v at the brake lights (tested with volt-meter).
   - Bulbs are fine, they are not the problem
   - Tested continuity of wires at the MC to the rear brake light.  5 of
   them had continuity to the rear bulb socket, 1 did not.  The one that did
   not was from the rear MC circuit and was 81a.  But on the front MC circuit,
   81a DID have continuity with the bulb socket.  I found that weird, but not
   sure if it's my problem.
   - Brake test light works normally and tests correctly.

I am going to look at the wiring diagram and see if I can figure this out,
but its not my strong-suit.  If anyone has insight, I'd really appreciate
the help.

Thanks for your time!

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback