[T3] Brake Lights

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 3 09:50:04 PDT 2011

On 1 Jul 2011 at 20:20, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> Pulled the connectors off the switches.  With a continuity test on the pins
> of the switches, here is the result (same for both switches).
>
> Foot OFF pedal:
> 81 and 81a have continuity, no other pin combinations do

That is correct

> Foot ON pedal:
> no pin combinations have continuity
>
> According to my notes from last summer, I THINK, that pins 81 and 82a should
> have continuity in order to turn the lights on.  So, it seems these switches
> have failed.  Am I correct in the diagnosis?

Yes

> Other notes:

>    - Tested continuity of wires at the MC to the rear brake light.  5 of
>    them had continuity to the rear bulb socket, 1 did not.  The one that did
>    not was from the rear MC circuit and was 81a.  But on the front MC circuit,
>    81a DID have continuity with the bulb socket.

Your continuity test doesn't mean much, because you're seeing
continuity thru various other bulbs in the system. Their resistance
is very low when they are not lit. The one wire that did not show
continuity must have been either an error or a broken wire.

To test your wires, just connect one switch at a time and verify that
the brake lights work. You can also test the wires with your ohmmeter
by verifying that wire 81 to wire 81, from one connector shows
continuity. Do this for each of the 3 pins, 81, 81a & 82.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org