[T3] Brake Lights

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 17:59:11 PDT 2011

I started to send this to Jim only, because ultimately it is only asking a
question of him.  I feel so stupid at the moment, but figured I could put my
pride in my back pocket and tell this story so that it might help others.

It was sunny today and I just had to follow my hunch and change out the
brake switches.  I was right.  Both switches failed.  They were Euromax and
lasted WAY less than a year....and even less than that when you consider
that I probably only used the car as a daily driver for 4 months of that
time.

I called one FLAPS and all they stocked was Euromax.  I said "no thanks".  I
called another one and they said they had some in stock, were "German" and
cost $12.  Significantly more than I have paid to date for these switches.
 I said "please tell me they are not Euromax" and he laughed saying "No.  I
am never stocking those pieces of !@#$@#$ again.  These are German."

So off I went and picked 2 up.  The package says Pacific Parts
International<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jSz32hEThe_rFDlpfNxGSBeOhsgH_CeuarCEXbsp8HY?feat=directlink>.
 The switches have no special markings about who manufactured them.  This is
what they look like<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/A9KqqVJ90ngtZ7KN8avRWReOhsgH_CeuarCEXbsp8HY?feat=directlink>and
only say "FTE" on one side and "451" on the other.

So, got under the car...had new switch in hand and unscrewed the old one.
 Quickly swapped with minimal leakage and proceeded to tighten.  At the end
of the range that it would tighten up, I gave one more final "snugness" pull
and the damn switch broke off at the threads and I was left staring at my MC
with threads buried inside.  The neighborhood heard a subsequent
curse-storm.  I called my VW-buddy at work and he said just remove the MC,
bring it in and he'd help me back out the threads and really all I will be
out is time and another switch.

But I tell this story for 2 reasons:

1) beware that even parts stores know Euromax is crap and so don't buy
those!  And if you do get these "german" switches, don't tighten them TOO
much.  Previously, I really did reef on my switches to make them good and
sealed.  Never had a problem...but today, I learned that was probably too
much.  Maybe I just got lucky before and these "German" switches are fine.
 I'm not complaining about their construction.  I just think I tightened too
much.

2) Between having this system apart last summer and then again just now, I
have a significant amount of DOT 5 brake fluid that I've recaptured from 2
drainings.  I want to reuse it and Jim, I know you filtered yours before.  I
forget what you said about when you reuse fluid and when you don't.  I
thought you had a rule.  Also, I'd be filtering it and I remember you did it
with a coffee filter system.  My question is, I'm not going to buy the
coffee maker that you have just to do this.  I'm wondering if you feel that
just a standard #4 paper, unbleached filter, a cheap (Goodwill) drip coffee
filter holder and a glass jar will be sufficient?

Sigh.  What a day.  I'm bummed.  But oh well, the damage is really only time
and a new switch.  Could have been worse I suppose....

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback