[T3] A new T-34 owner?

jaransont3 at comcast.net jaransont3 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 06:59:58 PDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Adney" <jadney at vwtype3.org>
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Sent: Sunday, July 3, 2011 9:21:49 AM
Subject: Re: [T3] A new T-34 owner?

On 1 Jul 2011 at 22:56, Dave Hall wrote:

> I wonder what differences there are in the original VW mountings - the rear
> outer has a large plate underneath, but I don't know what the ones going
> into the tunnel, sill or C-post have.

There's another large plate for the 2 rear inners.

There's a long oval insert/plate inside what amounts to the bottom of
the "B" pillar for the front outers, at least the lower part. I
wouldn't be surprised if VW used the same part for the upper front
outers.

I've never seen what's inside the tunnel for the front inners, but it
may not be much because I think that's a much heavier piece of steel.

The reinforcement in the tunnel is about 1" x 3".  Jim is right, doesn't need to be as big since the tunnel parent metal is considerably thicker.  You get a sense of the size by looking a the pictures I linked to, since that section of the tunnel is the one I used to make the lower anchor point reinforcements on the Ghia.

Later,

John Jaranson

www.carartbyjohn.com