[T3] Coil, Calipers, and Front Beam

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 3 19:50:22 PDT 2011

> From: topnotch at nycap.rr.com
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 21:20:32 -0400
> Subject: Re: [T3] Coil, Calipers, and Front Beam
>
> Well, if you want to spend a couple hours mushing everything together to
> mount it up in there go ahead, but I just stick It on the bench or a couple
> saw horses and have at it.

I had a real problem with dissembling the other beam, and be worth two hours
to save four to six, and the frustration of chasing it.  Those ball joint nuts
are a real pain. ;/  Plus, cannot get it running, so might as well do this and
maybe I can get an answer back or figure it out myself.

> If you bend the lower arm toward the rear the caster angle between the upper
> and lower arms gets less, or even negative.

Ah, got it.  Amazing how a simple suspension is a bit complicated with angles.

> Usually one side is bent, but if they jumped a curb it could be both sides.
>
> I generally put 5mm caster shims in it behind the lower section of the beam,
> but until its all together you wont know exactly what the caster is anyway.

Where do you get these shims?  I rather put them in now if it will help a
undamaged beam, but if not...  Or could just mount up four bolts then be easy
to drop it if there was a issue.

Thank you,
Adriel