[T3] Coil, Calipers, and Front Beam

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 02:52:28 PDT 2011

Sounds like ignition fault.

You removed the distributor ISTR - did you re-engage the dog drive on the
bottom?  Is the dirstributor pushed down fully?  I spent a while puzzling
over it with a camper once, and I'd not got it down properly.

Check points gap exists, check distributor cap has the carbon brush in
place, check the shaft rotates when the engine is turned, check the wires
are on the coil OK, check the condensor is mounted securely and earthed by
the casing and mounting screw, check the wire braid on the baseplate is
attached, check there's a little spark when the points are opened while the
ignition is on, check you have 12V on the black wire to the coil.

If this all checks out, it might be your coil, I suppose.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club