[T3] Coil, Calipers, and Front Beam

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 4 12:19:45 PDT 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 12:48:39 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] Coil, Calipers, and Front Beam
>
> On 4 Jul 2011 at 8:32, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > > From: jadney at vwtype3.org

> > > A timing light with inductive pickup will tell you whether you have
> > > spark. Check all 5 cables.
> > >
> > Nothing at any of them, as I thought I stated earlier. ;)
>
> Then your problem is lack of spark.

That is what I thought, and why I was possibly unjustly going after the coil.

> Do you have 12 V at the + side of the coil?

On both sides.

> Do you have continuity thru the coil primary?

Not sure I am testing this right.

> Are the points opening and closing?

Yes.  I cleaned the points, greased the lobes, and set the proper gap.

> Are the wires all connected?
>
> If you pull the coil wire off the dist and put it close to ground,
> does it spark?

I went out to do you spark test, and when I went to grab the coil
lead, something was not right.  I have looked, but not touched the
wires since doing the timing way late at night.  Apparently I
should not work on her several hours past time to sleep; been doing
16 to 18 hour days, with at least half working on her.  Reason being
the number four and coil were swapped.  I have corrected this, but
now cannot see if that did it or not, as the fuel tank is
disconnected but will see later if I can rig something up.  Curiosity
killing me again, especially when I did something that stupid, and
checked at least four times.  Next time, will go by my hunch of the
last thing changed and completely redo it.  When it would not run,
I changed the cap and rotor so must have done it then.

> Is the rotor installed?

And the cap; done that when I was way past bedtime.

> Is the carbon brush in the cap intact?

Tried two caps so far and no difference other than on the second time,
putting the coil wire in the wrong place.

Thank you so very much!
Adriel