[T3] Coil, Calipers, and Front Beam

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 9 19:44:10 PDT 2011

> From: topnotch at nycap.rr.com
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 21:01:45 -0400
> Subject: Re: [T3] Coil, Calipers, and Front Beam
>
> Sounds like you made out well with getting a good beam, they are worth their
> weight, fantastic!

I think I did, as still have one or two type three rim(s) to sell and reduce
the cost.

How much would a bare beam or a complete beam minus ball joints?  I have
another good beam that I disassembled and did not have time to get all
together; was easier to slide the parts out and just wipe them down than to
check angles, assemble all the spindle/brake parts, and re-grease the entire
beam.

> Yea, they are a real pain to install, you need to grease those rubber
> bushings real good and mush everything together, good to get grest around
> the beam anyway as they tend to rust out there in the rust belt.

I did not grease the rubber...  Well, know next time, but hope never to need
it myself.  Luckily I am not in the rust belt, but by the ocean where there
is salt air all year round so where water is trapped things rust and the rest
corrodes.

Can I use a tap to re-thread the center body mount?  Looks like the first
threads are damaged which is odd considering how careful I am...

I got a chance to get the tires back on the ground, and with a fairly full
tank of gas and about 8 p.s.i. front tires (went flat fairly quickly and
sitting did not seem to help), height at front wheel arch is 24 3/4" so seems
I did get the torsion bars in the right position without angle guide. ;)

All that is left for Monday is tap out the mounts, get everything but top
mounts bolted,  install the steering box, coupler, tank, pump, lines, and the
tie rods.  Then I can see about getting her running. ;D  Itching to get her
running, getting it aligned, and seeing how much of a difference it is.

Thank you,
Adriel