[T3] Late type 3 clock wanted

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Jul 10 04:13:20 PDT 2011

The late ones are mostly the transistorised ones, though I know there's a
Canadian 411 owner with a black-faced clock that has the wind-up mechanism.
While they fail less often, and generally only due to the thermal link
melting or crumbling with age, they don't keep very good time.  Maybe that's
due to dirt etc, but I've not heard of them being very good time-keepers.

I had a grey-faced transistorised clock I that refurbed the bezel and fitted
to my Variant for the drive to Germany.  It kept excellent time until we
paused somewhere where I felt the need to put hazard lights on, and it's not
worked since.  I think the transistor is broken - the coils check out OK,
which is the normal failure mode on these clocks.  I've salvaged one from
another, and think there's just about room to remove and replace the faulty
one.  If all else fails, remove the back plate and most of the guts, and
drive the minute hand with a cheap quartz movement.  I think you can use a
w/c VW clock quartz movement, but a cheap 1.5V movement will also work for
maybe a year until the battery runs down, or make a simple 1.5V voltage
regulator circuit from the car 12V (eg with LM317L).  I used a ball-pen ink
tube to join the shafts.

If I replace the transistor, any tips on what would be neatest as a menas
rto filter out the pulses from hazards etc.  Jim?

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club