[T3] FW: Coil, Calipers, and Front Beam

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 10 07:27:03 PDT 2011

On 9 Jul 2011 at 14:33, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> I did find this: http://www.eisparts.com/131498001.html.  Do you think
> this would work on our ball joints?  I like to reboot the uppers at
> least as they have a threaded hole for zerk fitting.

They probably won't fit, but I'm not sure about that. It might be
worth a try at buying some upper and lower beetle boots just to see
if one of them would fit our ball joints.

You need to be very careful when lubricating ball joints that have
that hole in them. Squeeze the boot while pumping grease in and stop
as soon as you can feel anything going on inside the boot. The boot
needs room to flex. If you fill the boot, it will split the first
time you go over a bump.

Zerks should not be installed permanently in those holes. The plastic
plugs should be reinstalled afterwards, or else someone else will
fill the boot next time, making all your efforts moot. I've
occasionally worked on cars with Zerks in all the ball joints.
Invariably, all the ball joint boots are split. I seldom see damaged
boots on untouched ball joints.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org