[T3] FW: Coil, Calipers, and Front Beam

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jul 11 04:55:50 PDT 2011

On 11 Jul 2011 at 0:31, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> Adney, sorry I was not clear: meant the beam mounts that have a square
> washer. The first threads look as a glob not individual threads, but
> will look closer when I have a chance. Since it is a body mount do not
> think chips be an issue. After getting the tap and die set learned I
> was to use cutting oil so bought a big bottle and use plenty, and
> repeadly if heat and/or chips are a concern.

The beam mount threads certainly don't present a chip problem, but it
seems unlikely that the threads are actually bad. Look at the bolts
that came out of them, are their threads damaged? If not, then the
beam threads probably aren't either.

In the end, you're the only one there to look at them closely, so you
get to make the call. Just make sure you aren't trying to cross
thread the bolts because something isn't lined up properly. The very
last thing you want to do would be to accidentally cross thread with
the tap.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org