[T3] reIntroduce

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jul 11 08:01:28 PDT 2011

On 11 Jul 2011 at 8:50, matthew Stanfield wrote:

> On 2011.07.11, at 0218am, Jim Adney wrote:
>
> > Welcome back. What year do you have? Depending on the year, there may
> > be some simple tests you can do for the FI.
>
> It is a 1970.

Oops, I see that now in your sig. Okay, starting in '70, with the key
ON go to the engine and slowly open the throttle valve. As it opens,
you should hear a series of clicks coming from the injectors. If you
hear these, that's a pretty good indication that the FI is at least
mostly working.

If you want to test further, turn the key OFF, turn the engine by
turning the generator belt until the dist rotor moves 180 deg. Then
repeat the test. If you get clicks in both cases, the FI must be in
at least fairly good shape.

It can still have problems, but it is fundamentally working.

For a '70, pull the vac hose off the pressure sensor and attach a
clean hose to it, so that you can suck on the other end. The pressure
sensor should hold vacuum, at least for a moment. If you get a free
flow of air, your pressure sensor diaphram is cracked.

And, of course, check that you have spark.

Let us know what you find

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org