[T3] reIntroduce

matthew Stanfield vw70t3 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 24 14:44:28 PDT 2011

On 2011.07.11, at 1101am, Jim Adney wrote:

> Okay, starting in '70, with the key
> ON go to the engine and slowly open the throttle valve. As it opens,
> you should hear a series of clicks coming from the injectors. If you
> hear these, that's a pretty good indication that the FI is at least
> mostly working.
Check.

> If you want to test further, turn the key OFF, turn the engine by
> turning the generator belt until the dist rotor moves 180 deg. Then
> repeat the test. If you get clicks in both cases, the FI must be in
> at least fairly good shape.
Check

> It can still have problems, but it is fundamentally working.
>
> For a '70, pull the vac hose off the pressure sensor and attach a
> clean hose to it, so that you can suck on the other end. The pressure
> sensor should hold vacuum, at least for a moment. If you get a free
> flow of air, your pressure sensor diaphram is cracked.
No hose to the pressure sensor. I guess i missed this one. I looked at my Bentley, but could not figure out what size hose and where it goes to from the pressure sensor. A little bit of help here would be appreciated.

> And, of course, check that you have spark.
Pulled all four spark plugs, all had some degree of dry black powdery residue (carbon fouling?). I cleared them off the best i could and checked for spark. The 3&4 had spark. After some fiddling with the wires and ground, 2 had spark as well. After some more fiddling with distributor end of the wires, 1 had spark as well. Reinstalled spark plugs. Still no start.

matthew Stanfield
1970 VWfastBack
mansfield, OHio
home.earthlink.net/~vw70t3/