[T3] '69 Squareback FI, MT, Front Axle Beam

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu Jul 14 04:36:23 PDT 2011

In a message dated 7/14/2011 7:28:01 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:

There  are people in the UK doing awful things to their Type 3 front ends  -
butchering them and replacing with Beetle beams.  I can't think that  it
makes them more driveable - must be less stable to have a narrower  front
end.  Still, I guess the old beam is any good, ythey can sell it  to someone
who cares about keeping theirs as it was  built.

There's a lot of that going on here in the USA too, but you don't see them
offering up the old one to anyone that's looking for a replacement. We even
 discussed it at the last Invasion. I think a good part of it has to do
with  getting parts to rebuild a T-3 beam, as they're getting harder to find.
This is what Jim was getting on about, while it might not have rust, the
inner bushings might be shot. And lowering the front of these cars appears to
 shorten their lives (especially slamming them to the ground).

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)