[T3] Tire inflation pressures

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 15 07:55:22 PDT 2011

On 15 Jul 2011 at 8:25, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> Your Jetta door inflation label shows 35?

Yes, for my stock tires.

> SO your recommending 20 and 30 for the type 3 is there a label on the
> car that shows this or is it just from your experience, 20 in the front
> seems really low. I think last I check I am running 35 and 30. Will try
> the recommendation you gave to see how it drives. I am always up for
> more driver experience like I have always gotten from VW.

VW's recommendation for the Type 3s with stock tires was something
like 18/28 (F/R, unloaded to half loaded) due to the front/rear
weight distribution of the car. There was a sticker on the car when
new that had those numbers. I think it was usually on the glove box
door. I add 2 psi for better gas mileage to get 20/30.

If the car is fully loaded, fastys and squares are different, more
like 19/32 for fastys and 19/36 for squares, which can carry more
load. I take my square to 20/36, or maybe 22/36, if it is fully
loaded. I would never put more than 22 in front, and the 165SR15
tires have a max inflation pressure of 36 psi.

Running higher pressures in front, like you've been doing, will make
the front end "squirrelly." The car won't want to drive in a straight
line because the tires are so tight that they tend to bounce all over
the road. 20 psi is much more stable, largely due to having a
slightly larger contact patch with the road.

I think you'll understand once you try 20/30.  ;-)

> P.S.
> I have always readjusted my tire pressures after going to the chain tire
> shops as they seem to fill everything at 35psi

The "default" used to be 26 all around, which was still too high for
the fronts. Higher pressures seem to be more common these days, as a
means to better gas mileage, but it still depends on the car.
suspension, and weight distribution.

My impression is that rear tires don't make much difference, as long
as they are not underinflated, but front tire inflation pressure is
critical to handling. Our front tires need "abnormally low" pressures
simply because there are so few rear engine cars around these days.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org