[T3] Rear Wheel Bearing Cover

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 16 14:27:01 PDT 2011

On 16 Jul 2011 at 13:42, Brent Bottolfson wrote:

> One of my IRS rear wheel bearing covers is a bit damaged on the inside
> where the grease seal fits.  The outer bearing on the same side has
> obviously been replaced at some point as the roller retainer is different.
>
> Are all of the IRS bearing covers the same?  Looking at pictures of
> others, they don't appear to have exactly the same casting.
>
> Is this one safe to use?
>
> Here's a couple photos:
> https://picasaweb.google.com/bbottolfson/BearingCover?authkey=Gv1sRgCIfysqvFqMHZsQE

The microfilm only shows one part number for all IRS cars, so the
differences must just be different vendors. I don't think that's a
problem.

It looks like the damaged one has raised metal in the area where the
outside race of the outside bearing contacts it. That's probably not
a good thing. A few low spots should not be a problem, but high spots
will keep the cover from settling fully into place or maybe put a
little twist force on the bearing.

If you can file or scrape the high spots off that would probably be
okay. Otherwise, I have a good one here that I can sell. It's a bit
rusty, but that will clean up.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org