[T3] Dave did some work on the notch

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 17 13:37:03 PDT 2011

On 17 Jul 2011 at 10:11, David Sanderson wrote:

> It's been a slow time working on the notch but I finally finished the
> roof. As you recall, the original roof was pretty rotten and so I had
> to cut it out and weld in a new section. This was fairly difficult as
> I needed to get the correct curves and so on. Well, it's done and I
> blew on some hi-build. It looks very good and I am very pleased. I
> couldn't help sharing that with you.
>
> http://www.sandersonmotorsports.com/Notch/Documents/Daves/Roof/index.html

Wow, I don't think I've seen those photos before. You've put a LOT of
work into this. I couldn't understand why the roof would need to be
replaced until I saw the sunroof pan underneath. I'm guessing the
drains were clogged up and that's why the roof rusted. Did you have
to replace the sunroof pan, or were you just able to repair it?

> And I've decided to go back to the original colour rather than the
> electric blue. The original colour was L512, velvet green. I think
> that it will be nice.

I think the green will be an excellent choice. I know the fancy
colors are eyecatching, but to my eyes, at least, they just look
wrong on a Type 3.

> I'm still hoping to make the 2012 invasion.

I hope you can, and, if possible, bring the brake caliper that I
rebuilt and that leaks. I still feel bad about that and I'd like to
know what went wrong.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org