[T3] Brake issues....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jul 21 05:01:35 PDT 2011

On 20 Jul 2011 at 23:49, James Lingenfelter wrote:

>   Hi everybody; I am in the midst of a brake system nightmare with my
> '68 squareback, to the extent that I will be forced to sell the car
> soon if I can not figure out what is going on and get it drivable.
>
> The story: had a leaking rear wheel cylinder, took it to a VW shop;
> So here's the current situation: new drums, shoes, and wheel
> cylinders in the rear, adjusted to the max; front calipers were just
> completely rebuilt/new pads etc. No air in the lines, no fluid loss
> anywhere..... and the car is 100% unsafe to drive. What could this be?

I really hate it when I hear stories like this, because it seems like
there must be a simple problem somewhere that has been completely
overlooked by an inept or unfamiliar mechanic. Or it's possible that
it's not so simple. I can't help wishing you could bring your car
here so we could get it sorted out in an hour or so. Where are you
located?

Given your description, I find myself wondering if there's a problem
with the rubber brake hoses that lead to the rear brakes, or if the
steel lines got kinked when they replaced the cylinders. Part of this
SOUNDS like fluid isn't being allowed to flow freely back into the
MC, so the brakes stay applied. OTOH, you didn't mention this as a
problem before you took the car in.

To test this, get under the car with a light and open a bleed valve.
Fluid should run out freely. If it only comes out in slow drips or
less, the lines are not completely open. Run your fingers over the
steel lines, feeling for kinks or pinches.

Could it be a simple matter of the brake parts being assembled wrong?
The adjuster screws on the bottom have angled slots. The angles
should face slightly up, not slightly down. Are all 3 return springs
there? Are the parking brake parts installed right? Check where the
parking brake cable ends protrude at the base of the parking brake
hand lever. The ends should be sticking out about 3/8" or less; if
they stick out significantly more, they're probably adjusted wrong.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org