[T3] pinion gear gone-need a tranny '70 sqbk

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Jul 22 08:27:46 PDT 2011

In a message dated 7/22/2011 8:53:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

It  should not be hard to find a good late Type 3 tranny in SoCal. The
best  one would be late, with the larger, longer throwout bearing arm
outside  the case and the integral right side cover. With the late
tranny, you  would also have to replace your pressure plate, but
that's not a big  deal.

At the same time, inspect the flywheel surface and clutch disk,  and
it's probably worth pulling the flywheel and replacing the flywheel
seal. Oil the seal surfaces before you reinstall the flywheel. Do
this  work carefully, following the Bentley  instructions.

This is good advice. I replaced the trans in my wife's Fastback  (before it
got an AT conversion) with a good used one. The local foreign car  shop
wanted 250 to go thru it, and that was with me bringing it in to him. The  used
one cost 100. But definitely go thru the flywheel and seal while you're in
there, as it's cheap insurance. Bentley covers this well.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)