[T3] Replacing Real Wheel Bearings

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Jul 22 16:52:16 PDT 2011

In a message dated 7/22/2011 4:23:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

Yes,  it's possible, but any work back there is more trouble than it's
worth.  I've never seen one of those bearings fail. VW recommended
repacking those  bearings every 30,000 (or was it 60,000) miles, and I
don't even do that.  There's no reason to replace a bearing that's
still good. Most of them  outlast the cars.

I've replaced exactly 1 set(side) of those bearings in the last 20 years.
The main cause was a loose axle nut (Yes Dave, that's what I meant too), or
possibly the cast iron hub, or a combination of both. That happened on  the
car that became my Square-vert (was a 71 Squareback, that had the roof cut
off). It happened on I - 44 just outside Joplin, back in 2003. I had a set
of  bearings here, along with a steel hub, an axle and nut, along with some
tools, that I needed to fix it in a party store parking lot. It was an
interesting job to say the least, but we got the car home. : ) I never did  do
the other side.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)