[T3] Replacing Real Wheel Bearings

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 22 18:59:08 PDT 2011

On 22 Jul 2011 at 19:52, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> I've replaced exactly 1 set(side) of those bearings in the last 20 years.
> The main cause was a loose axle nut (Yes Dave, that's what I meant too), or
> possibly the cast iron hub, or a combination of both. That happened on  the
> car that became my Square-vert (was a 71 Squareback, that had the roof cut
> off). It happened on I - 44 just outside Joplin, back in 2003. I had a set
> of  bearings here, along with a steel hub, an axle and nut, along with some
> tools, that I needed to fix it in a party store parking lot. It was an
> interesting job to say the least, but we got the car home. : ) I never did  do
> the other side.

I'm REALLY impressed. You actually HAD those parts with you when you
had that failure?

The only other failure I've seen was on a beetle where the axle nut
came off, the brake drum worked its way off and the outer bearing
disassembled itself. I actually put the bearing back together and
sent the car back out on the road. The replacement bearing that I
bought, just in case, is still sitting on my bearing shelf.

That beetle continued without further difficulty for years.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org