[T3] Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 23 00:24:45 PDT 2011

Finally got a chance to pick up a five gallon fuel can in the late afternoon: tank was too heavy to safely lift which I learned the hard way.  Drained the gasoline, and noticed some flakes.  When looking in the tank, there is a few spots of corrosion.  The sock is fine, so do not want to put phosphoric acid in the tank.  Figure the sock is not broken, so should not mess with it.  Right?  In the end, just left it as I figured the filter get it.  Been going though them what seems quickly, so now using generic metal can filter.  When draining the gasoline, the neoprene fuel line outer layer started peeling off.  So, went back to the F.L.A.P.S. and asked for 10 feet of 5/16" standard fuel hose, and since it was the last on the roll, gave me the extra two feet!  I was so stoked, as it was about what I needed for under the tank, if that.  Just finished about half hour ago; had to take a shower as smelled of gasoline.  I used new band clamps as there was only about half that were original, and are really rusted.  Seems that hose has been on there a long time, and here I thought it had been replaced by the shop that ripped me off.  For some reason the hoses were quit long and always had to keep an eye out that they were not dragging.  This time used only what was needed, especially for the filter, as the aforementioned shop stole the holder for it.  By keeping the line short it keeps it horizontal.  I looped the return line to the tank hoping some of the particles settle in the loop and not go into the fuel pump right away.  Now nothing hangs below the front beam so as it does not catch on things especially when I get a chance to take it off roading.  Major pain, but now I know it is good for the Invasion.  :wink:

I also got the steering box mount tightened up.  The horn wire is limiting turning ability, no matter it seems.  Do I need to extend the wire?  Or, is there a trick to it?

Also got the difficult beam bolts in, so all that is left is the upper bolts.  Did not have a 10mmx1.5 tap, so put on a good amount of cutting oil on the bolts, and started them by hand while wiggling them.  Went in further, then used a ratchet the rest of the way.  Half way put on more oil, but the driver's side still got almost to hot to touch.  Figured that hard to go in, why bother torquing them.

Now all that is left is figure out the horn wire and put in gasoline.  Then can see about getting it running, after which need to install the brake light switches.  Should be here Monday, and did by spares since they do not last.  That way if I get pulled over I can change them on the spot.  :wink:  :lol:   But alas, have an essay to finish and another to write, one due Sunday and the other Monday.

Thank you,
Adriel