[T3] Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Jul 23 05:09:36 PDT 2011

In a message dated 7/23/2011 3:24:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
adriel_rowley at hotmail.com writes:

Finally  got a chance to pick up a five gallon fuel can in the late
afternoon: tank was  too heavy to safely lift which I learned the hard way.
Drained the  gasoline, and noticed some flakes.  When looking in the tank, there
is a  few spots of corrosion.  The sock is fine, so do not want to put
phosphoric acid in the tank.  Figure the sock is not broken, so should  not mess
with it.  Right?  In the end, just left it as I figured the  filter get it.
Been going though them what seems quickly, so now using  generic metal can
filter.

A bad idea. Sue and I learned that the hard way (cost her 55 bucks for tow
home). If you have rust flakes in the tank, you need the tank cleaned.
Otherwise  the flakes will clog the sock, and stop fuel flow to the pump. Your
old filters  were probably clogged with rust and disintegrating fuel hose.
Like I said, we found this out the hard way, in that her car quit while
driving home from work. She called for a tow, they flatbedded the car home,
and  unloaded it. I started the car up, and drove it around the yard, and felt
it was  fine, but decided to take a look inside the tank. Pulled the
sending unit, and  with a flashlight (torch for our UK friends), I could see the
crap down in the  bottom. I pulled the tank, and cleaned it out using the
method described in the  blue Bentley. Put it back in, and it's been fine
since. Just my 2 cents worth.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)