[T3] Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 23 13:19:43 PDT 2011

On 23 Jul 2011 at 12:58, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> I read the Bentley, and do not understand the chemicals they are using.  Can I
> safely use one part Phosphoric Acid to 10 parts water and not damage the sock?
> Can it be left per the prescribed eight hour time?  What is machine coolant oil:
> cutting oil?  What be a good substitute?

Just take the sock out. That's the prudent thing to do anyway, since
it lets you actually inspect and clean it.

You can use any oil, but "soluble" oil, used as a cutting fluid, is
perhaps the best choice, because it will mix with both the acid/water
that's already in there and the gas which you will add later. The
point is to put something in there that will keep the steel from
rusting, which it will do VERY quickly once it has been freshly
cleaned.

Once you have put the tank back in service, with gas in it, the gas
will keep it from rusting, assuming you have the overflow hose (or
repair kit) installed, so that water doesn't get thrown into the
tank.

The impression I got from your first post was that you didn't have
all that much rust in there, so I wonder if you're overthinking this.
Bob got the opposite impression, so I guess it's up to you to decide.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org