[T3] Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 23 17:15:32 PDT 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 15:19:43 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes
>
> On 23 Jul 2011 at 12:58, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > I read the Bentley, and do not understand the chemicals they are using.  Can I
> > safely use one part Phosphoric Acid to 10 parts water and not damage the sock?
> > Can it be left per the prescribed eight hour time?  What is machine coolant oil:
> > cutting oil?  What be a good substitute?
>
> Just take the sock out. That's the prudent thing to do anyway, since
> it lets you actually inspect and clean it.

I took the leap, and did.  It was really in there.  What is the best
way to clean it, as it is really dirty.

> You can use any oil, but "soluble" oil, used as a cutting fluid, is
> perhaps the best choice, because it will mix with both the acid/water
> that's already in there and the gas which you will add later. The
> point is to put something in there that will keep the steel from
> rusting, which it will do VERY quickly once it has been freshly
> cleaned.

I got it sitting now.  Only thing was could not fully seal it, so only
used a small amount of acid and letting it drain on a large pile of
cardboard.  If I had been less of a hurry, would have asked how to seal
it.  Now I know what will not work. ;)

So soon as the solution is out, will get the oil in.  How much oil?

> Once you have put the tank back in service, with gas in it, the gas
> will keep it from rusting, assuming you have the overflow hose (or
> repair kit) installed, so that water doesn't get thrown into the
> tank.

Been thinking of storing it with oil added to the gasoline, which figure

would not harm anything, right?  Ethanol really absorbs water, and she

is on the coast.

I have a standard bit of fuel hose installed about ten years ago.  Guess
when I replace the fender Winter Break need to install the Notch1500
repoped overflow hose.  Want to see how long it lasts, as not thrilled
with removing my evaporation system.  I think I found new metal hose and
charcoal, but low on priories right now. ;/

> The impression I got from your first post was that you didn't have
> all that much rust in there, so I wonder if you're overthinking this.
> Bob got the opposite impression, so I guess it's up to you to decide.

I feel I am not, as it has been a problem since I have owned her.  Sat
for over three years with a partial tank so like to solve it now while I
can, plus, in the end, think a half clogged filter is evidence that I was
not over thinking it. ;)

Thank you so very much!
Adriel