[T3] Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 23 19:04:24 PDT 2011

On 23 Jul 2011 at 21:48, SCS Crewcab wrote:

> Another thing when you're storing an FI car for very long. Disconnect
> the 3 fuel lines from the pump and put them in an empty pail. Turn the
> engine over until all the gas is pumped out. Empty the pail and put a 3
> to 1 mix of 10w oil and Marvel Mystery oil. Turn the engine again over
> to fill the pump with the light oil mixture. This will keep the pump
> gears from getting gummed up with varnish from the old gas and protect
> them from corrosion. When you go to start it, make sure to pump out all
> the oil mix before you connect it back to the engine.

I'm sure this works great, but it's lots more work than necessary.

There are no gears in the FI pumps. They work just fine sitting
filled with gasoline, as long as it's not just a little bit of gas
that's allowed to dry out. Yes, this works for years.

It's the drying out that leaves the gum, which is just the residue
that's left when the volatile parts of the gas have all evaporated.

Again, the key is to store with a full tank, and no extra vent paths.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org