[T3] "Boneyard" search

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 14:46:53 PDT 2011

On 23 Jul 2011 at 18:36, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> *Monday or Tuesday (7/25-26) I'm going to three auto salvage yards to see
> what VW T3's, if any, they might have in their yards.  My '69 Squareback
is
> (possibly) in need of several things.

>Let us know if you find anything. Most places in the Midwest >crushed cars
this old long ago.

> I'm thinking that many rubber parts; electrical "boots", gas
tank-to-fender
> rubber, etc. are interchangeable.  Other things; like sheet metal
(fenders,
> rockers, etc.) may NOT.
>
> Are there any general guidelines of FIT/DON'T FIT?

>That question is really too broad to answer. For body parts, if the
>part looks the same, it will probably fit. For mechanical parts >there are
lots of variations and you really have to tell us what >you're looking for.

------------------------------------

Mechanically, I believe my '69 Variant is "pretty" sound.  Jim may confirm
or deny.   ???  But I'm considering having a "restoration shop" do some work
on my car.  Things I CAN'T, UNQUALIFIED or UNABLE to do.

However on a related issue, ALL of the companies that claim to stock and
sell T-3 parts, do y'all ... (anyone?) ... have a compiled list of what
reliable companies, have what parts?
Aircooled.Net
CIP1
ISP West
Bughaus, com
EIS Parts.com
RocAuto.com
Samba (of course)
Private parties (also)

Wouldn't that be a useful list for a lot of us?

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Lake Geneva, WI