[T3] "Boneyard" search

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 24 20:47:53 PDT 2011

On 24 Jul 2011 at 16:46, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Mechanically, I believe my '69 Variant is "pretty" sound.  Jim may confirm
> or deny.   ???  But I'm considering having a "restoration shop" do some work
> on my car.  Things I CAN'T, UNQUALIFIED or UNABLE to do.

I think your '69 is in pretty good shape. We got most of it polished
up last fall and have a few small items planned to finish this
thursday. The rockers could use some help, but it's not yet terminal.

To do this work requires someone who knows their way around type 3s,
some reasonable good used rockers, and a good welder/body man. I
nominate Bob!  ;-)

> However on a related issue, ALL of the companies that claim to stock and
> sell T-3 parts, do y'all ... (anyone?) ... have a compiled list of what
> reliable companies, have what parts?
> Aircooled.Net
> CIP1
> ISP West
> Bughaus, com
> EIS Parts.com
> RocAuto.com
> Samba (of course)
> Private parties (also)
>
> Wouldn't that be a useful list for a lot of us?

It sure would, but I'm afraid it would be obsolete before we could
get it finished. The market is continually changing and sources of
supply buy their parts from different sources over time.

I learn about parts availability here, from people who have gone out
looking for a particular part at a particular time. I think the most
practical thing to do is to ask for items as you need them.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org