[T3] Some Spark but no Fire (was RE: Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes)

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 13:52:44 PDT 2011

Spark at the plugs?  I'm sure you would have checked that.

Smell of fuel from the exhaust?

Something should go bang if so, even if only occasionally!

I don't think pumping the pedal will do much.  If it's a very rich mixture,
you may be firing the injectors (if it's the years that does that) and
putting even more fuel in.  Better to turn the ignition on and off 10 or 20
times to make sure all the ring main has fuel (or make the pump run using a
jumper wire on the fuel pump relay).  Then hold the accelerator down while
cranking to try to get a better mixture in there.  I guess that might not be
as good a technique with FI as with carbed.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club