[T3] Huston, we have ignition! (was RE: Some Spark but no Fire (was RE: Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes))

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 25 23:47:14 PDT 2011

> Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 22:17:05 -0700
> From: fisherfarms at gmail.com
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] Some Spark but no Fire (was RE: Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes)
>
> If you are pumping the gas pedal you are flooding it! I only cycle my
> key and never pump the pedal when I'm starting my FI from a cold start
> or it will flood.

Well, I do not question the advice, but try it, and come to my own
conclusion, and as I have learned recently, keep it to myself.
Apparently folks are sensitive to comments/questions in regards to
the help they are going to give or have given.  Lost a few people
that way, including P.A. for a very long time, and now the relations
can be tense.  Darn shame, as has vast knowledge on a vast amount of
areas.

Brian helped me from New York, and deserves a huge thank you, along
with Adney and Mr. Hall for there help here on the List!  :D

I was going to respond back to Brian that the point gap was fine,
but realized that I had not recently checked it.  I decided to
take Pedro's advice, and go out and work on her instead of
computing.  Thank you Pedro for sharing this! :D

So, checked the gap, and realized the mark in the distributor was
not the high point of the lobe.  It is about were the edge of the
brass in the rotor is.  I looked at the gap, and could see it was
way out.  With the gauge, it had to be at least 1.5 times too big.
Decided to clean the trigger points while at it, and pulled the
distributor.  With the distributor out, was real easy to gap the
points.  Then pulled out the trigger contacts and cleaned them per
Russ' dollar bill method.  I greased the inner lobes, the lobes on
the contacts, and the distributor shaft.  The latter made almost
all the difference in putting in the distributor.  The other thing
was realizing the breast tin is a bit high so the vacuum can hits
it, have to push firm.  Got it all back together, primed the fuel
ring, gave a few pumps of the throttle, and bang, the engine was
running! :O :D l.o.l.:

It runs rough, and takes a bit to increase R.P.M., and you have
to keep the throttle open, otherwise it almost instantly dies.
So happy walked the dogs and to clear my lungs, as at that time,
none of the doors were open.  After which, started unearthing the
Squareback to get it out of the garage.  Then my bio Mom came out
while I was repairing the ground wire for the rear lights.  Not a
perfect repair, but should work.

Once done, lowered her off the jack stands, got in the Squareback,
and told my bio Mom to hold her breath.  Once started, she decided
to open the door to the house, so now the house smells like
exhaust despite both outside doors open and a breeze, but mostly
gone because the air filter cleaned it out.  Was a trick avoiding
the van parked in the middle of the driveway, especially when I
realized that I had only rear brakes. :O  Killed the engine
twice, but the second time had enough momentum to coast to the
street and park it; sloppy but legal.

This is my forth night up past 21:30, and I am so shot.  But, at
least she is out of the garage. ;) :D

Thank you all!
Adriel