[T3] Huston, we have ignition! (was RE: Some Spark but no Fire (was RE: Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes))

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 26 23:52:49 PDT 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 23:21:22 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] Huston, we have ignition! (was RE: Some Spark but no Fire (was RE: Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes))
>
> On 26 Jul 2011 at 12:06, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > I will check the dwell and timing once I have fresh gasoline, as timing
> > needs to be set at about 30 degrees advance at 3,500 R.P.M. I.I.R.C..
> > Russ suggested 15 degrees advance, but do not want to run it that way
> > with possibly bad fuel.
>
> Why not stick to what the Bentley suggests: for a '71,TDC at idle.
> You're MUCH less likely to screw that up than trying to time to a non-
> existant mark at high rpm/

Because I trust what Russ said about advancing it fifteen more than a
pollution control.

I was just planning on setting it to fifteen, then checking to be sure it
did not go past the 30.

> The 15 deg figure is wrong, and the 30 deg figure requires more
> understanding than you have at this point.

So if it is wrong, what else is wrong that Russ said. ;|

Trouble is, the Bentley was not written when there was crap they put in
the fuel.  All the information I have been finding says for proper running
to advance the timing.  Do you have information otherwise?

What understanding am I missing?  I have had a year of auto shop, plus the
several, if not more, owning type 3s.

> Keep it straightforward and get it running right before you start
> messing around with it again.

I was told static timing was not good enough and one should check it with a
light.  Is this incorrect?

Thank you so very much!
Adriel