[T3] Huston, we have ignition! (was RE: Some Spark but no Fire (was RE: U...

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 27 15:29:05 PDT 2011

> From: Bobsnotch at aol.com
> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 06:57:18 -0400
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] Huston, we have ignition! (was RE: Some Spark but no Fire (was RE: U...
>

> In a message dated 7/27/2011 6:42:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:
>
> If you time it statically - without a light - the first mark to the right
> of
> TDC should be close. That's 7.5 deg BTDC. As you have a light, why not
> time it correctly, as the factory recommends? That's what most of us do,
> and no-one's had a problem following the factory instruction.
>

> Yup, that's what I do. If you're really paranoid, AND have a dial type
> timing light, you could set it to 28-30, and see IF you're still on the timing
> mark (that you used initially) at 3000 rpms. I'll bet you'll be fine
> though.

I like to check with you all, that is why I did not time it right off the bat to
15 degrees.  Good thing too.  7.5 is about were my reading says ethanol burns the
most efficiently.

With this engine, I am paranoid.  I am so scared how long it will last, and also
that I will damage it.  If I had the time and maybe money, rebuild another engine.
Had a lot of fun building it, but apparently used the wrong camshaft grind.  So,
instead of getting all the torque from the grind, like to get some of it from
stroke.  Nothing wild, as still learning, but still like to learn more and get my
confidence up. ;)  Yes, I know speed costs, but not looking for that.  I want to
be safe and have the ability to be loaded and still able to get out of the way.
This is why I upgraded my brakes. ;)  This is especially true when I daily drive
it.

Thank you,
Adriel