[T3] Houston, we have ignition!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 30 09:45:45 PDT 2011

On 29 Jul 2011 at 8:07, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> Actually I learned a couple of things. 1) I didn't have a late brake pedal
> pushrod in my stash (only 2 earlies), so I temporarily stole the 1 out of
> the 71  Square-vert (still need 1 to replace it).

As of this morning, there's a good used late pushrod on its way to
you via First Class Mail.

> 2), You can't adjust the older early  style pushrod out far enough, as
> there isn't enough stud to do this (the max  length is 150 mm, with
> the 2 halfs butted together, and you need to be at least  150 mm to
> make the dual circuit master work correctly) hence the stealing of the
>  71's part.

This is weird. Could your early pushrod be from a beetle? I never
heard of anyone having to change the pushrod when they upgraded to a
tandem MC, I thought the early and late MCs that I have seen appear
to have the same geometry, so I don't understand why a different
pushrod would be necessary. I don't have an early one here to measure
against; has anyone else done this upgrade and run into this problem?

I checked the microfilm, and I see that it shows 2 different
pushrods, but the replacment early pushrod asks to use the late boot,
so it's a different version meant to fit the late boot with the
smaller hole. Sounds like a different length might be the key.

> 3) It pays to make sure you have everything you need before digging
> in (a couple of spare parts will save the day too IF something goes
> wrong (like a stripped out T fitting at the rear- my fault)),

My basement is testimony to my dedication to spare parts, but my wife
doesn't share my enthusiasm for this collection. Nevertheless, it's
always nice to be able to say, "No problem, I've got one of those."

;-)

> The wide 5 kit came with a new boot, so I used it. It was real nice and
> soft. Don't know how long it'll survive (it's Chinese), but it's done. I did
> put  the weep hole on the bottom at installation. Thanks for asking.

It came with an MC boot? That seems odd, but sure turned out well for
you. I'm short of the late boots, so I as about to check the dealer
price on them. Anyone know of a good place to buy good ones?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org