[T3] Houston, we have ignition!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 31 09:54:48 PDT 2011

On 31 Jul 2011 at 8:33, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> The pan under the tunnel of my 64 has no drain hole in it, like my other
> later cars have. I even checked my pictures of the floor from when I had it
> on  it's side (during sand blasting). So, that might explain it. They (VW)
> may  have added the drain and hole in 67, or possibly 66.

John J's "new" '67 Type 34 came with a single circuit MC, which was
completely wrong for that year (although I haven't tried to check the
Type 34 parts microfilm.) In thinking about this, I'm going to guess
that VW sent assembled pans to Karmann to be built into Type 14s and
34s, but production there was slow, so those pans sometimes got used
later than they should have. Thus John's '67 may have been built on a
"left over" '66 pan. That would explain the '66 MC.

So, John, does your '67 Type 34 have the drain? The rubber valve may
be gone, but the hole would still be there if it is a '67 pan. But if
it's really a '66 pan there should not be a hole.

And is the VIN a low '67 number: 347 000 ???. Or is it possible that
someone rebuilt your T34 on a '66 pan, which you could tell from the
VIN on the pan not being a 34 VIN?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org