[T3] Vibration

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 20:11:24 PDT 2011

*We took my '69 Squareback, MT, FI for a 65 mile, "test run" after being
stored on jack stands, in an unheated airplane hanger since October 2010.

After putting the tires back on the ground, everything seemed to operate OK
at city driving speeds ..... but at 55 mph, flat road, 4th gear, there
seemed to be a steering wheel vibration.  50 mph .... OK.  60 mph .... OK.
55 mph, not so good.  Not violent ...  just a bothersome "jitter".

It doesn't seem to be the tires.  They are new radials and balanced.  On a
known, excellent, smooth, blacktop road for 30 miles or so, my other car is
vibration-free.  Not the VW.  UGH!

I can't seem to determine if it's engine rpm's, steering  damper, or what
else it could be.  I'm puzzled.  Could it be wheel alignment?  Camber?
Caster?  Toe-in?

Any ideas?

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, MT, FI
*