[T3] Steering wheel "jiggle" & mirror

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 15:29:06 PDT 2011

>Tyre pressures - are they something like 20 front and 30 rear?

>The mirror shafts are cast - not too easy to repair.

>Dave.
>UK VW Type 3&4 Club

----------------------------

Thanks Dave.  Yep ... actually I usually run with 18 psi in fronts; & 28 to
32 psi in rears.  The car is "empty" and only me in the driver's seat.  I
suppose I could have thrown a wheel weight on ANY short trip.  ???

Re:  The right-side, rear-view mirror stem where the "break" occurred looks
like a bronze-color metal.  I'm pretty sure it's NOT bronze but the metal
has that "goldy" kinda color.

I have a set of Numbered Drill Bits, and I think I can CAREFULLY drill into
both of the cross-sections (arm and "ball") and either:
1) epoxy a short "dutchman" of stainless steel POST into each side or
2) make a "press-fit" with a "dutchman" of stainless steel POST and press
the stainless steel post into the holes with an interference fit.  Even if
the post/rod goes into each side 3/8" (or so), it's better than what I've
got.  Which is NOTHING!

IF there's a good '69 right-side mirror out there FOR SALE, I'd be
interested.  My glass is good, but some of the "silvering" is beginning to
"darken" around a few areas of the edges.

Gary "Frito"
1969 Variant, MT, FI
Lake Geneva, WI