[T3] '69 Squareback FI, MT, Front Axle Beam

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 06:27:35 PDT 2011

*Four things:

1)  Are NEW (complete, ready-to-bolt-on) Front Axle Beams available for my
1969 VW Squareback/Variant, from some source?  Approximate cost?  Or am  I
going to be relegated to "searching" for the best, minimally rust-free,
used, beam that I can find?
2)  A VW bus owner, and (BTW) is a "passionate" VW bus owner, like us Type 3
guys, gave me a catalog from Mid America Motorworks (Effingham, IL).
www.mamotorworks.com   They are a "newly-known-to-me", VW supplier of
(mostly) Bug, Super-Beetle, Ghia, & Bus parts.  They seem to have a small
amount of Type 3 stuff.  Do they sell GOOD quality parts?  Their prices seem
a bit on the high side.  ???
3)  Are the upper ball joint arms (by themselves only) replaceable?  It
seems that the ball joint on the right-side has excessive "play" in it.
Both top-to-bottom and right-to-left.  Left-side is just OK (not great) but
OK.  If I could find a good quality Front Axle Beam, I would buy it.
4)  Do any other VW models or years, Front Axle Beams "fit" our Type 3 cars?

Gary "Frito" '69 Variant, Mt, FI
Lake Geneva, WI
*