[T3] '69 Squareback FI, MT, Front Axle Beam

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 13 13:03:23 PDT 2011

On 13 Jul 2011 at 8:27, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> 1)  Are NEW (complete, ready-to-bolt-on) Front Axle Beams available for my
> 1969 VW Squareback/Variant, from some source?  Approximate cost?  Or am  I
> going to be relegated to "searching" for the best, minimally rust-free,
> used, beam that I can find?

I think the only source is used.

> 2)  A VW bus owner, and (BTW) is a "passionate" VW bus owner, like us Type 3
> guys, gave me a catalog from Mid America Motorworks (Effingham, IL).
> www.mamotorworks.com   They are a "newly-known-to-me", VW supplier of
> (mostly) Bug, Super-Beetle, Ghia, & Bus parts.  They seem to have a small
> amount of Type 3 stuff.  Do they sell GOOD quality parts?  Their prices seem
> a bit on the high side.  ???

Their quality is pretty good, but no one has really good quality Type
3 parts. Stick with what you've got, or good used OG parts, as long
as you can.

> 3)  Are the upper ball joint arms (by themselves only) replaceable?  It
> seems that the ball joint on the right-side has excessive "play" in it.
> Both top-to-bottom and right-to-left.  Left-side is just OK (not great) but
> OK.  If I could find a good quality Front Axle Beam, I would buy it.

There are quite specific instructions in the Bentley manual for
measuring wear in the ball joints. Their method requires special
tools, but you can generally make do with something equivalent. Is
that what you've done. Otherwise, this is a really hard determination
to do.

Yes, any of the ball joints are indivually replacable. It's a bit of
work, but it's easier than replacing the beam. I have new ball
joints, but I've never had to replace one.

> 4)  Do any other VW models or years, Front Axle Beams "fit" our Type 3 cars?

No

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org