[T3] Dual carb air cleaner

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Jun 12 09:40:48 PDT 2011

I'm sure it wasn't done for that reason - more likely complaints from
servicing depts that taking the whole thing off meant it was easy to get an
oily mess.  The deeper Bug oil-bath probably was less critical - it's easy
to get some oil over the lip into the outer area with such a flat pan.

Removing the ends to give access to the carbs is a tidier way to go, though
with the rubber gasket being a bit prone to splitting, and spares being
scarce for quite a while  meant I've always removed the whole thing.

VW developed the 1500S engine with twin carbs for the Type 34 Ghia first - I
guess the reduced risk of smaller production numbers helped establish its
reliability before going to full production, but I don't know for certain.
That's quite a pattern for VW (maybe most manufacturers) to install
something new on the lower production item.  Most of the twin carb engine
parts are prefaced 34....

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club