[T3] Dual carb air cleaner

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 16:09:55 PDT 2011

I think both those cars used a (modified?) Type 1 floorpan and suspension
layout, but I doubt they gave a part number to items primarily for the far
more numerous production lines of Beetle or even Type 3.   Who knows,
though?

Talking of 'who knows what', a member of our UK forum came up with an
interesting website www.howmanyleft.co.uk which covers the UK car
registrations database.  Just putting Volkswagen 1600 in there comes up with
all the models, how many were licensed over the past 17 years, and the
numbers per year of first registration in each of the various models.  I'm
only just scraping the surface of the info there, and are not sure yet why
there are sudden jumps in the numbers in 2002.  maybe that was when there
were penalties introduced for not telling them you still had the car.  For
example, there are 60 of my Variant model (twin carb manual lower trim spec)
and 48 automatics (twin carb lower trim spec), while just 2 fuel injection
auto Variants.  Fastbacks number 320 of the twin carb lower trim, with 39
fuel injection.  Volkswagen 1500 comes up with info on the early models -
but be aware the Beetle was avaialble in a 1500 model in the mid-sixties.

Fascinating - there are some inconsistencies, and looking at the indiviaual
model has a break-down of years of first registration, you can see some are
registrered before the Type 3 actually came out - obviously a clerical error
or similar.

Don't stay up too late, though!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club