[T3] Runs Great....but very hot...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jun 17 14:36:49 PDT 2011

On 17 Jun 2011 at 14:04, J. Jonik wrote:

> This is about T 3, 71, Std shift.     ...the one that had endless Fuel
> Problems that seem to be now fixed by a hundred adjustments and tests,
> unhooking Cold Start, Changing the Control Unit and so forth.  The
> Temp Sensor in the Air Distributor is also unplugged.   If I plug it
> back in, it runs kind of rough.

Sounds like the actual root problem still hasn't been found.

> The other day, on a hunch, I changed the Pressure Sensor...and now the
> idle sits right where it should...no more highs and lows.  Does that
> make perfect sense?

Suck on the old pressure sensor. It should not leak down. If it does,
but very slowly, that's probably okay, but if it leaks so fast that
you can never actually generate any vacuum, then you've got one of
those '71 PSs with a cracked diaphram. (Or did this car have a later
engine and FI?)

> One problem left.   After maybe 20 or so miles, highway and in town,
> the engine is really hot...hotter than it should be.

How have you determined that it is hotter than it should be? You
should not expect to be able to hold your hand on any part of a fully
warmed up engine. If things seem hot enough to actually boil water,
then that may be too hot. You should look at your thermostat and the
linkage to see if the cooling flaps are opening. That's hard to see;
do you know what to look for?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org