[T3] Runs Great...but very hot... (2)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jun 18 04:34:10 PDT 2011

On 17 Jun 2011 at 14:59, J. Jonik wrote:

> Just after I sent the message below, I casually checked my oil,
> expecting to have to top it up a little.  No.  It was up over the
> line...indicating that gas is (again) getting into the engine.   That,
> probably, accounts for Running Hot.

You're checking the oil with the car on ~level ground, right?

Excessive richness makes an engine run cool, not hot. It's possible
that you have a cooling system problem that IS making your engine run
hot and the FI is trying to compensate by richening the mixture.

It might also be a good idea to attach a voltmeter to the fuse box
(and ground) and leave it on the seat next to you. That way you can
glance at the voltage occasionally while driving. Your voltage should
be sitting around 14 V while cruising, but it will drop at low rpm
and idle. If you see it droop below 13.5 while cruising, you have the
standard VR problem, which is easily and cheaply fixed. (Low system
voltage makes the FI run rich.)

>  Except for the novelty that the car runs great (otherwise), it's
> almost back to Page One.

> Is it injectors? Should I just guess and get all new ones?...or start
> testing the spray and volume and all that?

They are probably fine, unless you have water or dirt in your system.
Water causes rust, which is the same as dirt, plus it damages parts,
like injectors. How is your overflow hose? Have you changed your fuel
filter lately?

>  Is it that unconnected Temp Sensor at Air Dist?

You're just fooling yourself by thinking you can fix an unknown
problem by creating another problem somewhere else. The fact that
disconnecting it helps IS interesting and potentially useful, but
it's NOT a solution.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org