[T3] Cylinder Performance

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 18 21:09:25 PDT 2011

> Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:11:09 -0700
> From: fisherfarms at gmail.com
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] Cylinder Performance
>
> Have you ever run a compression test on the engine?

Mike, wanted to thank you for this suggestion.
Because of it I found number one and two were also
fouled, which is odd because two was running fine.

Such a pain I only did three and two so as to have
something to compare the troubled cylinder to one
that should be fine.  The issue is the adapter is
a 17mm hex the whole length and about the same
length as the plug so no way to hold it with my
fingers and thread it and in the socket it slides
out.

So onto results.  Number three is about 130 p.s.i.
and number two is about 130 p.s.i. also.  Not sure
how accurate since the parts might not be fully
seated and the rings are not broken in.  But, to
me looked fine: not a huge amount of cranking to
build pressure, and did not leak down right away
and stopped at 100 p.s.i. which I found interesting.

Thank you,
Adriel