[T3] Re/ Runs Great...but very hot...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 20 21:09:53 PDT 2011

On 20 Jun 2011 at 20:56, Brian Fye wrote:

> I was using a general statement to argue agaijst an overgeneralization.

I don't think you'll find anyone who is well versed in auto mechanics
who would consider running without a thermostat a good idea. Sure, in
a few cases it may seem to work, but that doesn't make it a good
idea.

You're using a single case to argue for a generalization.

If the generalization was true, we would have lots of cars sold new
without thermostats. Read the Bill Fisher book, "How to Hot Rod the
Volkswagen Engine." Even in that book he points out how silly it is
to remove the thermostat. Bill was a respected engine expert across
many types of engines and points out that no maker will install a
part that they could get away with leaving out. Leaving out the
thermostat would have saved VW significant $ on each car. If they
could have done that, and still sold reliable cars in any part of the
world, they would have done so. They made lots of other changes for
different markets. This would have been an easy one that would have
made them lots of money.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org