[T3] Trans - 0 miles

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jun 21 19:04:19 PDT 2011

On 21 Jun 2011 at 16:09, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> Just sharing....
> came across it in the listings and thought some would be curious/interested
> !
>
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1155186

Interesting. At first glance that looks completely wrong, but then I
realized that it's just missing the black sheet steel cover that goes
on over the mid section. I've never looked at one in that state.

There were 2 different versions of the torque converters and this
looks like the early, less desirable one, but I can't be sure. Ah-HA,
now I see it: Look around the output flanges. You can see small 5-
bolt flanges just outside each output flange. This is the early, less
desirable, '68-9 version of the AT, and yes, that's the early torque
converter.

You don't want it. This design was superceeded in '70 by a better
design.

The other thing I never noticed before is that this looks like you
could install an outboard starter shaft bushing and use the normal MT
starter. That might work nicely, or it might be a problem because the
MT starter has slightly less HP than the AT starter. Also, I don't
know if the drive pinions are the same.

In general, the ATs seem to be pretty darn rugged, which is probably
another reason why this one is still around.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org